There are always a few things that seem obvious, but people tend to forget when moving into a uni room. Here’s a quick checklist of things that I think you might forget if you’re moving in for the first time!
1) Storage. If you’ve only ever lived at home, you don’t tend to think about things like storage. But most uni rooms come with a bed, desk and somewhere to put your clothes but not much else. Maybe think of a chest of drawers or a cabinet to keep your things in.
2) Hangers. A lot of people forget these! It’s all well and good bringing all your clothes to uni with you, but it’s no use if you don’t have any hangers to hang them up within your wardrobe.
3) Folders. Remember you’re going to have a lot of paperwork from your studies, so you need both folders and somewhere to put them! Maybe look into extra storage like my previous point.
4) TV. You are more than welcome to bring a TV to uni (I have had one in all my years at uni), but you need to make sure that you have a TV License. It’s just over £100 for the whole year, but if you don’t pay and get found out it’ll over £1000 in fines! My advice is: make it easier for yourself and avoid the stress – make sure you look into it and you have it all sorted.
5) Extension leads. It may sound like the dullest thing to bring to uni and the last thing on your list, but uni rooms don’t tend to have many plug sockets and once you’ve plugged in your printer, laptop, TV, phone charger and I-pod charger, you’ll quickly end up with no plug sockets left. Although there were enough plugs when I was in halls, I invested in two leads, so I had plenty of outlets for all my gadgets!
These are only 5 things that I know people tend to forget out of the many more that are on everyone’s checklists. Good luck for those moving into university halls for the first time and don’t panic if you’ve forgotten something – there are shops very close by!