Ladies and Gentlemen, the biggest day of the year for all of our ears is here! (Rhyming not intended).
That’s right, it is World Music Day! And I know that here, at the University of Worcester, music plays a big role in all students’ lives, so have decided to create a blog post dedicated entirely to this “momentous occasion”!
Music is most definitely the universal language of the world, with everyone having a completely different taste and style of music they listen to that is entirely unique to them.
Thinking about it, there is nothing that polarises opinion quite like it.
My friends have completely different tastes, with Tipa who will rarely listen to anything created post-2000, Lisa battering the old musicals’ tracklists, and Bec being addicted to Taylor Swift and all things modern!
And I myself have a very mix and match playlist. Throughout the majority of this month I have listened to a strange combination of Fuse ODG (a product of my Ghana travels and English heritage no doubt), Johnny Cash, George Ezra, Jake Bugg, Vance Joy and the Rolling Stones, with many others thrown in occasionally as well.
Very strange, but again, very specific to me.
So, although this is a very very subjective thing, I have attempted to write two ideal 20 track revision/work playlists for you students: one with more relaxed tracks, and one more upbeat, for the caffeine-induced late night essay runs we all occasionally go on!
They are a mix and match of modern and older music, with hopefully a little bit of everything in between thrown in. Enjoy!
(Slightly More) Relaxed Revision:
1. Snow Patrol- You Could Be Happy
2. Noah and the Whale- 5 Years Time
3. The Rolling Stones- Sympathy for the Devil
5. Lucky Jim- You’re Lovely to Me
6. Johnny Cash- I Walk the Line
8. John Legend- Ordinary People
9. Davido- Aye
12. George Ezra- Leaving It Up to You
13. Johnny Cash- Ballad of a Teenage Queen
14. Paolo Nutini- Pencil Full of Lead
15. Magic- Rude
16. Israel Kamakawiwo’ole- Somewhere Over the Rainbow
17. Bob Dylan- Blowin’ in the Wind
18. Jack Johnson- Better Together
19. The Cinematic Orchestra- To Build A Home (You’re Welcome everyone!)
Bonus Track: Gary Jules- Mad World
Upbeat Playlist- In No Particular Order
1. Fat Boy Slim- Eat Sleep Rave Repeat
10. Outkast- Hey Ya
13. Public Enemy- Harder Than You Think
14. Blur- Song 2
16. Jay-Z and Kanye West – No Church in the Wild
17. Foxes- Youth
20. Fergie, Q-Tip and GoonRock- A Little Party Never Killed Nobody
There we have it! Two playlists with hopefully some new tracks on it for you that you can listen to as you work!
Our gift to you on World Music Day!