“Independent Learning” doesn’t mean you’re on your own!

Uni is a big place, and it can seem even more daunting. But don’t panic – you’re not alone! Going to uni does mean you have to be more independent, but being independent doesn’t mean you’re on your own. All universities provide help and support for any situation you are in, but here are just a few of the services that are available at the University of Worcester.


Worcester Oct 2013 3891

For any student questions about studying, finance, counselling, registration, assessments, module choices, disability support, basically anything to do with uni life, Firstpoint, based in the Peirson Study Centre, is the first place any uni student should go to.

They will give you all the advice you need, and if they don’t know the answer, they will point you in the right direction.

Firstpoint can book confidential and semi-confidential meetings with external specialists if you need this and it also holds the Careers and Study Skills Zones. All these services are available from 9am-5pm weekdays on campus or you can ring 01905 542551 or email firstpoint@worc.ac.uk or even follow them on twitter: @firstpointUW

Language Centre

Attending a university in a country where they speak a different language can be so much more daunting.

The Language Centre can provide vital support for these students, including assistance with Academic English, writing, presentation skills, specific English as a Foreign Language modules, self-study support via CDs, DVDs etc, one-to-one support and specific IT equipment that can assist international students in coping with studying in English.

Student Services

Most of Student Services can be accessed through Firstpoint. Student Services is the place to go if you have any problems with money, health and well-being, work, study skills, disability support, chaplaincy and childcare – basically anything to do with university that isn’t linked to your particular course of study.

Academic tutors

Whereas Student Services are there to help you with the social and personal side of university, academic tutors are there to support you with your studying.

Every undergraduate is allocated an Academic Tutor and they are there to support your studies, listen to you if you have any academic difficulties and provide your official university reference at the end of your course.

If you have any issues with the academic side of your course, then you just need to book an appointment with you tutor (either email or sign-up sheet) and they will do their best to help you!

I also found that they were great in dealing with any personal issues, too.

Disability and Dyslexia Service

University is hard enough, but the added stress of a disability or dyslexia can make it much harder. That is where the disability and dyslexia service can help, providing students with advice and support on an individual basis.

They can help with all students, from those with disabilities, dyslexia, dyspraxia or sensory impairments.