University Jargon Buster!

As someone applying for university, it can be a bit confusing with all the new terminology and ‘jargon’ that people can use. Sometimes it’s a bit like people are talking another language and you’re not quite familiar with it yet! Here’s a few example of university jargon that you might not be familiar with and what it actually means to that you know what people are talking about!

• Alumni: this is an association for all university graduates

• BlackBoard: this is where all the materials for your lecture such as handouts or PowerPoint presentations are located so that you can download them for your notes
• Bursary: this is a scholarship or grant that the university give you whilst you attend

• Campus: this is the grounds of the university
• Credits: these are awarded on completion of a module. A module usually provides 15 credits

• Dissertation: this is a long essay or research project on a chosen subject of your degree that you write in your third year

• Honours degree: this is an undergraduate degree where the student has achieved 120 credits or more

• Mature Student: any students who is 21 years or over at the beginning of their course
• Modules: your course will be divided into modules of different topics which you need to pass individually to pass the whole degree

• Sandwich course: this is a degree where the student partakes in a work placement for a whole year in the middle of their course
• Semester: this is similar to a school term. Your course will be split up into two semesters with Christmas breaking the two up
• Sole: this is located through the Student App Portal and is where you can access all your student information such as assessment results, accommodation, course information, student notices etc

• Tutor: this is a member of staff who you can turn to with any issues, not just academic problems, who isn’t your set lecturer

• Undergraduate/Postgraduate: an undergraduate is a student completing their first degree whereas a postgraduate is a student completing a degree after they have graduated from their undergrad degree