Welcome to another instalment of my baking for beginners series! Previously I went through the process of my first attempt at making scones. As a lover of the Great British Bake off (for the cake as much as for Noel Fielding’s fantastic shirts) I decided to have a go at making my own sponge cake. I have decided to use a gluten free flour as I have a wheat allergy however you can swap this out the “normal self raising wheat flour”. This is the perfect recipe for you or your gluten free friends because why should a food allergy or intolerance get in the way of enjoying cake!
- 175g Free From Self Raising Flour
- 175g Caster Sugar
- 175g Butter
- 3 Table spoons of milk
- 4 Eggs
- Sultanas (optional)
- Table Spoon
- Big Spoon for stirring
- Baking tray
- Baking Paper
- Mixing Bowl
- Weighing Scales
- Before you start, pre heat your oven to gas mark 4 or 160 in an electric oven.
- Cut out your baking paper and line your baking tray and use butter to get it to stay in place.
- Measure out your ingredients and put them in the mixing bowl (except the sultanas which are optional).
- Whisk the ingredients together until it becomes a nice thick mix. Once you are happy with your mix you can add the sultanas and stir them in with the big spoon, If not, just pour your cake mix into the baking tray.
My cake took about 35 – 40 minutes to cook on gas mark 4 and I kept checking it in 20 minute intervals to make sure it had baked. To check your cake has baked you need to poke it with a knife in several places and if the knife comes out clean then your cake has cooked.
So there you have it my step-by-step guide to baking a basic sponge cake. Remember that you can ice and decorate your creation if you’d like to or maybe get your housemates involved and make a cake together?
Hope you all enjoyed my cake making and start your own baking journey!